- Representing clients in appeals and civil litigation throughout West Virginia’s state and federal courts.
- Representing clients in mass and class action litigation.
- Representing clients in various commercial transactions as well as the formation and organization of business entities.
- Representing clients in government affairs.
- Representing clients in the preparation and registration of federal trademark applications, license agreements and intellectual property litigation.
After serving as General Counsel to Governor Joe Manchin III from 2005-2009, Carte returned to Goodwin & Goodwin, which he initially joined in 2000. In July of 2010, Governor Joe Manchin III appointed Carte to the United States Senate to fill the vacancy caused by the passing of Senator Robert C. Byrd. He is currently serving on the United States – China Economic and Security Review Commission.
- United States – China Economic and Security Review Commission, Washington, D.C. Commissioner, 2011 – Present
Appointed to serve on twelve-member commission, which reports to Congress annually on the national security implications of the bilateral trade and economic relationship between the United States and the People’s Republic of China.
- United States Senator, 2010
- West Virginia Independent Commission for Judicial Reform Chairman, 2009.
Chaired, along with Honorary Co-chair Sandra Day O’Connor, a Commission charged with studying the need for systematic judicial reforms in West Virginia. The report made a series of recommendations, including the creation of an intermediate appellate court and the implementation of a public financing for judicial elections.
- General Counsel to West Virginia Governor Joe Manchin III, 2005-2009
- Clerk for the Honorable Robert B. King, United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 1999-2000
Senator Carte Goodwin, pictured with Vice-President Joseph Biden, being sworn in as the first United States Senator born after 1970 on July 16, 2010.
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals and all lower State courts
- Marietta College, B.A., Philosophy, magna cum laude 1996
- The Emory University School of Law, Doctor of Law, 1999; Order of the Coif, Executive Notes & Comments Editor, Emory International Law Review, Authored “Live, In Concert and Beyond: A New Standard of Contributory Copyright Infringement.” 13 Emory Int’l L. Rev. 345 (1999)